Technical Customer Support Manager (Maternity Leave Contract)
At Port 443 we work together, laugh together, and eat a lot of donuts together. (Have you seen our Instagram? It’s basically a food blog.)
Our products (My Music Staff, TutorBird & AthletaDesk) are always evolving, making for an exciting and dynamic environment. Every day, we’re connecting with thousands of users all around the world. If you ask what they love about us, they’ll tell you that we really listen to their needs and go above and beyond to help them. Our members are at the heart of everything we do. Their feedback and ideas help to shape our products, and at the end of the day, we’re here because of them…
…and because of the donuts.
You’re a supportive leader – someone who can build up the strengths of your team. You’re always ready to hit the ground running, figuratively and literally – we just got a treadmill desk for the office! You take pride in efficiency, always looking for ways to improve processes so things run smoothly. You’re extremely organized and know just how to motivate your team to be organized too (keyword being motivate – micro-managers need not apply!). You’ve got a good sense of humour – feel free to tell us your most groan-worthy G-rated joke in your job application for bonus points 😂 (And you don’t mind that we still use the 😂 emoji even though apparently that’s not cool anymore!)
- 2+ years experience supervising or managing a team
- 5+ years working as part of a Customer Success team at a technology company
- A diploma or degree in business, management, or other relevant field
- Ideas! We want someone who’s excited to share their thoughts and suggestions with the team
Your responsibilities will include:
- Effectively delegating the support workload to the team and handling escalations where appropriate
- Ensuring quality and effectiveness of customer support and improving processes where necessary
- Advocating on behalf of the customer and providing internal feedback on how we can improve our products to meet their needs
- Collaborating on cross-departmental projects and supporting opportunities for staff involvement
- Working closely with the development team on identifying bugs and tracking feature requests
- Coaching and supporting staff development/training
- Reporting on support trends and team
- Managing department expenses
- Travelling to exhibit at trade shows (up to 10% travel may be required)
Working During Covid-19
The team’s been working remotely since March 2020, but we’re all looking forward to being back in the office together again soon! While our communication style has changed over the last year, we still have a ton of custom Slack emojis to help us communicate. (Don’t worry, we’ll fill you in on all the office emojis in your first week 🍤)
Here’s what Port 443 work-from-home life looks like for a member of the Customer Success team:
- Wake up, grab some coffee, and get ready to start your day (or, snooze your alarm until 5 minutes before work starts – you don’t have to worry about a commute anymore!)
- Our already casual office dress code became even more casual: T-shirt? Fine! Port 443 sweater? Cozy! Pants? Optional! (Kidding, please wear pants during work hours… 🙈)
- Review the ticket queue to spot any early trends and send the team a “good morning” GIF on Slack 👋🏼
- Get ready to lead the daily call with the team (read more about them below 👇🏼). Quickly check in to make sure you’re all in the loop about any bugs or ticket trends, then catch up on what shows you’ve been watching.
- Follow up with the devs on the bug they were investigating yesterday, then share the update with the team! 📢
- Tuesday mornings are our company-wide meetings. In the first half of the meeting, hear about what development, UX, and support have been working on. Well, try to hear over the sounds of Dan walking on the treadmill desk. Then in the second half, join us as we descend into chaos with our Question of the Week!
- Time for lunch! Make a nice meal, go for a walk, watch some funny cat videos, take a bubble bath, or whatever else you need to unwind for a bit.
- Check the ticket queue to make sure things are moving along and voicemails are returned. Help with any tickets that need to be reviewed or issues that need to be documented.
- 1:1 meeting with one of your team members! Check in to see how they’re doing, get an update on other projects they’re involved with, and see what you can do to support them.
- Put together some reports for this week’s management meeting until you need a mid-afternoon caffeine boost, then set your Slack status to ☕ and go make a fresh pot of coffee!
- This afternoon it’s your Donut Call 🍩 Every 2 weeks you’ll be put in a random group with a few other coworkers so you can catch up. Talk about anything you want – except work!
Meet the Team!
Angie has a Question of the Week for every staff meeting and a GIF for every Slack chat. She keeps our customers’ needs at the forefront by making sure the ticket and phone queue keeps movin’ and any escalated concerns are followed up with. She manages the team and keeps everyone in the loop about trends, bugs, and patterns we’re seeing in support. Most importantly, she does our office Costco runs! She’s also always up to date on her reality TV – so if you’re a fan of The Bachelor, that’s a bonus 💍🌹
Bailey is our recent addition to the team and she’s already crushin’ it! Which, in the context of our Customer Success team, means diving right in to help our customers on the phone and by email whenever they have a question or run into an issue. We asked Bailey to describe herself in a few words and she said “wine, coffee, and true crime.” We then made a mental note not to catch her on a bad day 😛 During the pandemic, Bailey’s been keeping busy taking walks every day – she’s up to around 100km/week (putting the rest of us who haven’t gotten off the couch in months to shame 🙈).
Matt is a support rock star, spending his days answering tickets and walking our members through their questions on (sometimes very long…) phone calls. He’s also part of our onboarding team, where he helps new users get their accounts set up and ready to go. Outside of work, Matt enjoys travelling, trying new food (or just eating in general 😋), and long walks on the beach. Want to hear some really cool stories? Ask him about his time spent teaching in Japan!
Natalie is the go-to for beep-boop music and spoiling Marvel movies. As the office Zillenial, she always brings a different perspective to our lunchtime chats (which is our way of saying some of us are too old to understand any of her references 😭). During the workday, she’s busy going above and beyond to help our members over the phone, email, or on Zoom while onboarding new users. Natalie’s currently enjoying the perks of the Atlantic bubble, working remotely from New Brunswick for the time being.
Todd has the perfect dad joke for every conversation and the best track record on Untappd. He’s also the guy who handles our escalated technical support tickets and IT. If you ask the support team what that means, he’s the one who saves them when a really complex technical question or bug comes up. If you ask the developers, he’s the one who brings them bad news and problems all the time. Todd recently celebrated 5 years at Port 443! 🎉
- Free snacks and coffee – are you Team Hazelnut or Team Regular?
- Last Friday of the Month Lunch – vote for a new lunch spot every month, and watch as your coworkers get in heated debates over burritos vs burgers
- Company social events throughout the year – significant others welcome!
- Cool company swag when we reach milestones – check our IG to see some of our past swag
- Comprehensive health benefits plan – now you can stop putting off that dentist appointment!
When you come to work at Port 443, you’re joining a team that balances innovation, excellence, and fun. If this sounds like the perfect fit for you, we want to hear why! To let us know why this job posting speaks to you and what you can bring to the table, send your cover letter, resume, and favourite donut flavour to firstname.lastname@example.org