At Port 443 we work together, laugh together, and eat a lot of donuts together. (Have you seen our Instagram? It’s basically a food blog.)
Our products (My Music Staff, TutorBird & AthletaDesk) are always evolving, making for an exciting and dynamic environment. Every day, we’re connecting with thousands of users all around the world. If you ask what they love about us, they’ll tell you that we really listen to their needs and go above and beyond to help them. Our members are at the heart of everything we do. Their feedback and ideas help to shape our products, and at the end of the day, we’re here because of them…
…and because of the donuts.
You’re a motivated self-starter with a passion for quality and software testing. You’re quick to learn new things, and you’ll be ready to hit the ground running, figuratively and literally – we just got a treadmill desk for the office! You love to solve problems (and you’re good at it 😉). You’re a strong communicator who can mentor others. You’ve got a good sense of humour – feel free to tell us your most groan-worthy G-rated joke in your job application for bonus points 😂 (And you don’t mind that we still use the 😂 emoji even though apparently that’s not cool anymore!)
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field
- Strong knowledge of QA methodologies and best practices
- Demonstratable experience with automated testing frameworks such as Selenium, NUnit, Karma or Jasmin
- Experience in QA testing of software products
- Experience with CI/CD
You’ll stand out if you’ve also got experience with:
- Managing or mentoring junior testers
- Developing a testing strategy from scratch
- Implementing processes for automated and manual testing
- Microsoft .NET Framework (C#)
- Angular 2+
- Relational databases such as MySQL
Your responsibilities will include:
- Meeting with various internal teams to understand product requirements so they can be tested
- Creating comprehensive and well-structured test plans and test scenarios for both automated and manual tests
- Planning and coordinating testing activities with various internal teams
- Performing manual testing to ensure that product functionality is correct
- Automating as many of those tests as possible so that you’re working smart and not hard
- Identifying, investigating and thoroughly documenting bugs
- Collaborating with our awesome developers to review and enhance software development automated unit tests
Working during Covid-19
The team’s been working remotely since March 2020, but we’re all looking forward to being back in the office together again soon! While our communication style has changed over the last year, we still have a ton of custom Slack emojis to help us communicate. (Don’t worry, we’ll fill you in on all the office emojis in your first week 🍤)
Here’s what Port 443 work-from-home life looks like for the Quality Assurance Specialist:
- Wake up, grab some coffee, and get ready to start your day (or snooze your alarm until 5 minutes before work starts – you don’t have to worry about a commute anymore!)
- Our already casual office dress code became even more casual: T-shirt? Fine! Port 443 sweater? Cozy! Pants? Optional! (Kidding, please wear pants during work hours… 🙈)
- Log on and run through your to-do list to get ready for the day. Feel free to send the team a “good morning” GIF on Slack 👋🏼
- Hop on your daily standup meeting to chat with the rest of the dev team (read more about them below 👇🏼). Make sure you’re all in the loop about bugs, projects, and deadlines.
- Next, take a look at the latest commits and triage any failing automated tests; then it’s time for a little mid-morning caffeine boost. Set your Slack status to ☕ and go make a fresh pot of coffee!
- Tuesday mornings are our company-wide meetings. In the first half of the meeting, hear about what marketing, support, and UX have been working on. Then in the second half, join us as we descend into chaos with our Question of the Day – even a question as simple as “What’s your favourite chocolate bar?🍫” can end up in a heated debate!
- Time for lunch! Make a nice meal, go for a walk, watch some funny cat videos, take a bubble bath, or whatever else you need to unwind for a bit.
- New features are coming down the pipeline – time to test, test, test! Review requirements, dream up test scenarios and start implementing!
- This afternoon it’s your Donut Call 🍩 Every 2 weeks you’ll be put in a random group with a few other coworkers so you can catch up. Talk about anything you want – except work!
- Make sure you’ve gotten any bugs from the day documented. When the end of the day rolls around, sign off and go enjoy your night! 🌛
Meet the Team!
Dan is the founder & president of the company, so none of us would be here without him! He oversees everything going on at Port 443, and his hands are in a lot of the development projects. He’s the guy who makes sure that everything is running smoothly at all times. You can find Dan taking meetings while walking on the office treadmill desk! Fun fact: did you know you can suddenly develop an avocado allergy as an adult? Dan knows! 🥑
Ranveer manages the development team. Ask anyone at the office to describe him and they’d say “Ranveezy is generous AF, yo.” Ask them to expand on that and they would clarify that he shares his advent calendar chocolate with us every year! 🍫 For a good story, ask him about what happened with the UPS driver and the office door…
Thomas is the company’s best storyteller – seriously, the worst part about not being in the office together is missing out on lunchtime with Thomas. He can be found working on the front-end, the back-end, or the servers. His hobbies outside of work include everything cool you could possibly think of. Cooking? His IG looks like a professional chef’s. DIY? He can build just about anything. Swords?! YES ⚔
Vick is our Star Wars enthusiast and diehard fan of Toronto-based sports teams! As a member of the front-end development team, he’s focused on making sure that our apps look and work like they’re supposed to. In his spare time, Vick can be found watching hockey, playing hockey (NHL game series or good ol’ fashioned street hockey), reading books about hockey… look, he really likes hockey okay?! 🏒
Nicolas is the other half of the front-end development team – we have a Vick and a Nick, so our next hire will have to be named Rick! He’s focused on programming the logic that goes along with the design… and fixing the third-party text editor again when we find another bug. He’s competitive (just try to beat him in Super Smash Bros) and loves to travel! Ask him about the best ramen he had in Tokyo 🍜
Marc once let us decide the fate of his haircut using a Slack poll and shaved his head! As a member of the back-end development team, he’s working on all the things “under the hood” that keep our products running. He’s always got the perfect thing to share in the #random channel, whether it’s his quarantine needlefelt animals or the adorable videos of his pets 😻
- Free snacks and coffee – are you Team Hazelnut or Team Regular?
- Last Friday of the Month Lunch – vote for a new lunch spot every month, and watch as your coworkers get in heated debates over burritos vs burgers
- Company social events throughout the year – significant others welcome!
- Cool company swag when we reach milestones – check our IG to see some of our past swag
- Comprehensive health benefits plan – now you can stop putting off that dentist appointment!
When you come to work at Port 443, you’re joining a team that balances innovation, excellence, and fun. If this sounds like the perfect fit for you, we want to hear why! To let us know why this job posting speaks to you and what you can bring to the table, send your cover letter, resume, and favourite donut flavour to email@example.com