Product Designer (UI/UX)
At Port 443 we work together, laugh together, and eat a lot of donuts together. (Have you seen our Instagram? It’s basically a food blog.) Our products (My Music Staff, TutorBird & AthletaDesk) are always evolving, making for an exciting and dynamic environment. Every day, we’re connecting with thousands of users all around the world. If you ask what they love about us, they’ll tell you that we really listen to their needs and go above and beyond to help them. Our members are at the heart of everything we do. Their feedback and ideas help to shape our products, and at the end of the day, we’re here because of them…
…and because of the donuts.
You’re a curious and empathetic person who can put yourself into the shoes of our users and think of creative solutions that meet their needs. You’re a team player (don’t worry, we also hate that phrase and we promise not to use it again) who loves to collaborate with members of other departments to get things done – get ready to become fast friends with the front-end team! You’re flexible and always ready to hit the ground running, figuratively and literally – we’ve got a treadmill desk at the office! You’re a strong communicator who can translate from member-speak to developer-speak and back again. You love to dive deep into data and user insights and could run user testing all day (but don’t worry, you won’t be!). You’ve got a good sense of humour – feel free to tell us your most groan-worthy G-rated joke in your job application for bonus points 😂 (And you don’t mind that we still use the 😂 emoji even though apparently it’s not cool anymore!)
- Diploma or degree in UX Design, Graphic Design, Software Development or related field
- 3+ years experience working as a product designer, UX/UI designer or interaction designer
- A customer-centric mindset
- Familiarity with how designs are affected and constrained by the limitations of programming
- Proficiency with current design tools such as Figma and Hotjar
- Comfortable/proficient in creating and maintaining design systems on Figma using libraries and components
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ideas! We want someone who’s excited to share their thoughts and suggestions with the team
- Basic marketing/branding knowledge is a plus
Your responsibilities will include:
- Conducting research, such as user interviews and user testing, to understand user needs
- Turning concepts into deliverables: wireframes, user stories, user journeys, and mockups
- Designing user interfaces using industry best practices
- Presenting design ideas to cross-functional teams and senior leadership
- Communicating your designs to developers in a clear and comprehensive manner, and addressing any of their concerns
Meet the Team!
Maram is our Product Designer with an eye for UI (and yes, that was an intentional rhyme)! She brings a wealth of global experience to the team – and a wealth of laughs around the lunch table 😂 She’s passionate about everything she does, whether she’s working through an idea for how to improve a feature, or recommending a horror movie to her coworkers 😱 An avid explorer with dreams to go on a US cross-country road trip, ask her about her favourite places she’s travelled to!
Nicolas is another member of the front-end development team – we have a Vick and a Nick, so now we need a Rick! He’s focused on programming the logic that goes along with the design… and fixing the third-party text editor again when we find another bug. He’s a competitive and talented gamer – he won first place in our inaugural company Mario Kart tournament! 🥇
Shannon is one of our fantastic front-end developers whose curiosity and creativity make her a joy to work with! A lover of music, she’s a secret karaoke master who’d love to learn to play ukelele some day. By day, she’s hard at work helping the team upgrade our products to the next level, but by night she loves to go home, unwind, and enjoy some delicious comfort food. (Her preference? Pierogies 😋)
Vick is our Star Wars enthusiast and diehard fan of Toronto-based sportball teams! As a member of the front-end development team, he’s focused on making sure that what our users see actually looks and works like it’s supposed to. In his spare time, Vick can be found watching hockey, playing hockey (NHL game series or good ol’ fashioned street hockey), reading books about hockey… look, he really likes hockey okay?! 🏒
- Free snacks and coffee – are you Team Hazelnut or Team Regular?
- Company social events throughout the year – significant others welcome!
- Cool company swag when we reach milestones – check our IG to see some of our past swag
- Comprehensive health benefits plan – now you can stop putting off that dentist appointment!
When you come to work at Port 443, you’re joining a team that balances innovation, excellence, and fun. If this sounds like the perfect fit for you, we want to hear why! To let us know why this job posting speaks to you and what you can bring to the table, send your cover letter, resume, and favourite donut flavour to email@example.com